Clara Waldron Historical Room
In 1974, the library created the first Clara Waldron Historical Room, which was located in a small room in the basement of the library. The room was named in honor of Clara Waldron, author of One Hundred Years A Country Town, a history of Tecumseh from 1824 to 1924.
In 1977, the library received a gift from the Tecumseh Community Fund Foundation and brought the collection up to archival standards of preservation.
In Summer 2010, the Clara Waldron Historical Room moved to its present location on the library's main floor.
Baseball in Tecumseh
Scope of Historical Room Collection
- Business and legal ledgers
- Cemetery records
- Census records
- Clubs and Organizations
- Elementary, Middle School and High School annuals - Click here to view Tecumseh High School Yearbooks from 1919 to 2016-2017. Click here to view the Tecumseh Middle School Yearbook collection.
- Meyers Airport collection
- Microfilmed issues of the Tecumseh Herald
- Microfilmed issues of the Tecumseh News
- Oral History videotapes
- Pamphlet Files
- Perry Hayden Diary collection
- Tax rolls
- Tecumseh and Lenawee County atlases and maps
- Tecumseh and Lenawee County directories
- Tecumseh Herald Births, Marriages and Deaths Index
Tecumseh High School Class Play
Another photograph from Tecumseh's past from the collection.
Genealogy Web Resources
General Genealogy Websites
- America's News
- Ancestry Library Edition
- Archives of Ontario
- Bureau of Land Management General Office Records
- BYU: Family History Library
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- Ellis Island Resources
- Family Tree Maker Online
- Find A Grave
- Find A Grave: Ridgeway Cemetery
- Genforum (by genealogy.com)
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- HeritageQuest Online
- National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collection (NUCMC)
- Regional Genealogy & Local History Research
- U.S. National Archives & Records Administration (NARA)
- The USGenWeb Project
- Vital Records from FamilySearch.org
- 1820 Federal Population Census for Michigan
- 1894 Michigan State Census
- State Census Records
Immigration and Emigration
- Lenawee County Family Researchers
- Lenawee County Historical Museum
- Lenawee County MIGen Web
- Tecumseh Area Historical Society
Genealogy and History in Michigan
- Archives of Michigan Digital Collection
- Department of Community Health (Michigan)
- Historical Society of Michigan
- Library of Michigan
- The Making of Modern Michigan Digitizing Michigan's Hidden Past
- Michigan County Histories
- Michigan Genealogical Council
- Michigan Genealogical Death Indexing System
- MIGen Web
- Michigan Marriage Index
- Native Americans in Michigan (Part of MIGen Web)
- Online Michigan Death Records & Indexes
- Seeking Michigan
- State of Archives of Michigan
- Southwest Michigan Obituary Index
- Western Michigan Genealogical Index
GENEALOGY RESEARCH REQUEST POLICY
Library staff and volunteers are available to assist you in your genealogy and local history research.
Historical Room volunteers have indexed births, marriages and deaths from the Tecumseh Herald for the years 1850 to 2018.
Tecumseh District Library hours are:
Recognizing that many genealogists and local history researchers live outside the Tecumseh District Library service area, library staff and volunteers will correspond to out-of-town requests for a fee.
The following fees will apply for each obituary requested:
Photocopy from a year covered by library's index......$5.00
(Approximate year must be included with request)
Photocopy if EXACT date is known but is not indexed......$5.00
If the month and year of death is known but not the day, we can search through one month of microfilm for a charge......$8.00
If you do not have an exact date for the years not covered by our indexes, library staff will NOT be able to search for you because this would involve going through a whole year of newspapers week by week.
Please allow at least three weeks for staff to respond to your request.
LOCAL HISTORY RESEARCH REQUESTS
All local history requests must be prepaid.
Fees include postage, photocopying and handling.